Rajiv Gandhi Technical UniversityBHOPAL
Fifth Semester,June-2009
Data Communication & Networking EC-501
Note: Attempt any five questions.All question carry equal marks.
Q.1.(a) Differentiate between synchronous and asynchronous communication with suitable.
       (b) Assuming a synchronous transmission control scheme, explain how character and frame synchronization are achieved:
  1. With character-oriented transmission
  2. With bit-oriented transmission
Q.2.(a) Explain Shannon-fano encoding and Huffman coding theorem with suitable examples.
       (b) a message comprising of different characters which are transmitted over a data link. The relative frequency of occurrence of each character is: A = 0.1, B = 0.25, C = 0.05, D =0.32, E = 0.01, F = 0.07, G =0.2 Derive the entropy of the message and derive the suitable set of code words using Shannon-Fano coding.

Q.3.(a) Explain under what condition circuit switching is better than packet switching.
       (b) Derive the following terms as they apply to packet switching routing algorithm:
  1. Directory
  2. Random
  3. Flooding
Q.4.(a) Explain the various line disciplines used for data transmission between two stations with their timing calculations. Give suitable applications of each.
       (b) Define the following:
  1. Data rate 
  2. Topology 
  3. Duplexity.
Q.5.(a) Describe a conceptual view of ISDN.
       (b) What are the advantages of digital technology over analog technology?
       (c) Define Shannon and Nyquist on channel capacity.
       (d) What do you mean by digital access?

Q.6.(a) Explain the TCP protocol with their frame structure. Describe each field frame in brief.
       (b) Define the following
  1. Piggybacking
  2. code converters
  3. Protocol converters
Q.7.(a) Describe the principle of operation of CDMA/CD in LAN.
       (b) Explain the working of token ring channel allocation in LAN.

Q.8.Write short notes on any two of the following :
  1. Multiplexing
  2. RS-449
  3. Data compression
  4. High speed modems
META TAGS:-RGTU DATA COMMUNICATION PREVIOUS YEAR PAPERS I RGTU DATA COMMUNICATION OLD EXAM PAPERS I RGPV DATA COMMUNICATION LAST 5 YEAR PAPERS I RGPV PREVIOUS YEAR EXAM PAPERS I RGPV DATA COMMUNICATION PREVIOUS SEMESTER EXAM PAPERS I DATA COMMUNICATION PREVIOUS YEAR PAPERS I DOWNLOAD RGPV EC 5TH SEM ALL EXAM PAPERS I RGPV DATA COMMUNICATION LAST SEMESTER EXAM PAPERS I DOWNLOAD RGPV CS 5TH SEMESTER EXAM PAPERS I RGPV DATA COMMUNICATION BACK EXAM PAPERS I RGTU DATA COMMUNICATION LAST YEAR EXAM PAPERS I RGTU EC 5TH SEM GUESS PAPERS I RGPV EC 5TH SEM GUESS QUESTION PAPERS I RGPV CS 5TH SEM GUESSING PAPERS I rgpv exam papers I

0 comments

Post a Comment

Followers