R.G.P.V. Bhopal (MP)
B.E. (1st/2nd Semester) EXAM, FEB-2010
BASIC MECHANICAL ENGG [ BE-203 ]
Time:3 Hrs     Max Marks:100     Min Marks:35
Note:-Attempt FIVE questions,selecting ONE questions from each unit.Suitably assume any missing data.All questions carry equal marks.
UNIT-I
Q.1.(a) Draw a neat sketch of iron–carbon equilibrium diagram & explain the following:10 
                 (i) Eutectic reaction 
                 (ii) Eutectoid reaction 
                 (iii) Peritectic reaction
       (b)Give the composition,properties & uses of mild steel (low carbon) & high-carbon steels. 10
OR
Q.2 Write short notes on the following: 20 (5 each)
                (i) Cast iron 
               (ii) Carbon steels 
               (iii) Alloy steels 
              (iv) Classification of engineering materials
UNIT-II
Q.3 Explain the construction, working and uses of the following:    10
               (i) Venturimeter 
              (ii) Rotameter 
             (iii) Prony brake dynamometer 
             (iv) Vernier calliper
OR
Q.4 (a) Explain the principle of temperature measurement? 10
       (b) Explain the working of a thermocouple (thermoelectric) & radiation pyro meter with neat sketches 10
UNIT-III
Q.5. (a) How turbines are classified? Explain 10
        (b) A pipe of 200 m has a slope of 1 in 100 and tapers from 1 m diameter at the high end to 0.4 m at the low end. Rate of water fl ow is 4000 l/min. If the pressure at the high end is 50 kPa, find the pressure at the low end. 10
OR
Q.6. Describe the construction and working principle of 20
               (i) Pelton wheel 
              (ii) Kaplan turbine 
UNIT-IV
Q.7. (a) State and explain First law of thermodynamics ? 10
        (b) What short notes on the following: 10
               (i) Boiler classification 
              (ii) Eco-friendly refrigerants
OR
Q.8.(a) Describe the classification,construction and working of a Cochran boiler ? 10
        (b) Explain vapour absorption system with a neat sketch ? 10
UNIT-V
Q.9. (a) Explain the working of a two-stroke petrol engine ? 10
        (b) Explain Otto cycle and derive an expression for efficiency of Otto cycle ? 10
OR
Q.10 (a) Explain the working of a four-stroke diesel engine ? 10
          (b) In an air standard diesel cycle with compression ratio 14, the conditions of air at the start of compression stroke are 1 bar and 300 K. After addition of heat at constant pressure, the temperature rises to 2774 K. Determine the thermal efficiency of the cycle, net work done per kg of air and the mean effective pressure ? 10

META TAGS:-RGTU BASIC MECHANICAL ENGINEERING OLD PAPERS I RGTU BE-203 OLD PAPERS I RGPV BASIC MECHANICAL ENGINEERING OLD PAPERS I RGPV BE-203 EXAM PAPERS I RGPV BE-203 BME SAMPLE PAPERS I RGTU BE-203 BME GUESS PAPERS I DOWNLOAD RGTU BME PAPERS I RGPV BME OLD PAPERS I RGPV BASIC MECHANICAL ENGINEERING PAPERS I RGTU GUESSING PAPERS I BE-203 SOLVED PAPERS I RGPV 1ST YEAR BME OLD PAPERS I RGTU 1ST YEAR ALL SUBJECT OLD PAPERS I RGTU ENGINEERING PAPERS I RGTU 1ST YEAR ENGINEERING OLD PAPERS I RGTU BHOPAL EXAM PAPERS I RGTU BME GUESS PAPERS I RGTU BME SUBJECT NOTES I RGPV SUBJECT NOTES I DOWNLOAD BME BOOKS I DOWNLOAD RGPV BME BOOKS I DOWNLOAD RGPV BME NOTES I RGPV BME PAPERS

0 comments

Post a Comment

Followers